Monday, April 30, 2012

Wooden Butterfly Wall Hanging

 This is a picture of how my butterflies turned out.
Be creative and make yours any way you'd like
I will tell you the way I made mine.

 You will need some wooden butterflies. I had three large and one small.
Mine had wires already on them for antenae. If you need to, use your own
wire to create antenae and glue or tape them on. Also, mine had holes
in the tops of the wings. To make holes, have an adult hammer or drill
small holes. You'll also need some different colors of acrylic paint,
some gell glitter, some thin ribbon, a black marker and a paint brush.

 Place some paper underneath before beginning so you
can keep your table clean. I painted my first butterfly yellow.

 I drew a light pencil circle in the center of the butterfly,
then I squeezed dots of glitter gel onto all four corners.
With my paintbrush I spread the glitter around the wings.

 I painted the small butterfly pink. When they were both dry
I glued the pink butterfly on top.

On the other two butterflies I drew a curved line to guide me,
since I wanted to paint them two different colors.

 Paint the bottom of one and the top of the other one color.
I used light green.

 Paint the rest another color. I painted mine blue.

 For an easy way to put different sizes of paint dots
on your butterflies to decorate them, find things around
your house like the eraser of a pencil, toothpicks,
a glue stick, a wooden spoon and the end of your paint brush.

 This is where your own creativity comes in. 
I used some big dots, some medium, some tiny,
and I painted some parts of the decorations with my brush.
I also drew on my butterflies with the black marker.

 I used the glitter for more decoration. I used it as the body of one
butterfly and the marker for the others.
Let the paint and glitter dry. I left mine overnight.

Cut two pieces of ribbon about 2 inches long. Tie this between
the three butterflies. Be sure to make knots. Cut another
piece of ribbon about 14 inches. Tie this from one end to the other.
 You can see the way I pinned mine to hang them up.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool Joscelyn! I think the wall will look so great with those butterflies on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Butterflies. Great job Jocelyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your butterflies are SO pretty! You are a very crafty girl. Good job!

    ReplyDelete